Tuesday, February 16

See It (Sometime): Valentine's Day

Although critics seem to disagree with me, I really enjoyed Valentine's Day - the movie. It was exactly what I expected: a fairly light romantic comedy which sticks pretty close to formula, and ends (spoiler alert!!) with almost everyone happily in love. Although predictable, there were a few twists here and there: one I saw coming a mile (or should I say a flight) away, but another which totally surprised me.

With over a dozen A-listers, you really can't go wrong if you just want to soak up the star power, but there are certainly no Oscar-worthy performances. The movie attempts to portray a broad range of demographics: from teens to seniors, first-daters to happily-marrieds, and different races, socioeconomic groups, and orientations, but it doesn't feel forced.

As with any rom com, there are no "gotta-see-it-on-the-big-screen" special effects, so unless you have a girls' night out in the near future, you can easily save it for a rental. It's definitely worth seeing though, and leaves you feeling hopeful about love.

Have you seen Valentine's Day? Please add your thoughts!


Anonymous said...

Did see the movie and thought that it would be a bit better considering its cast, ... although disapponted in the movie a little.

Have you seen "He's Just Not That Into You".... save yourself the $10 and wait for it to come out on video.

This Mom said...

"He's Just Not That Into You" is a great comparison..."Valentine's Day" has even more stars, and less time to fully develop their stories.

AB said...

More movie reviews, please! I know you are a movie-aholic so I rely on your for the deets on the newest must-sees!

molly said...

Maybe I'll go see it now :)
Lovely blog by the way.